What the Royal Commission said
The Royal Commission recommends that the Victorian Government:
- develop, fund and implement modern infrastructure for Information and Communications Technology (ICT) systems, including:
- new statewide Electronic Mental Health and Wellbeing Record for mental health and wellbeing services to replace the current Client Management Interface/Operational Data Store (CMI/ODS) system;
- a review of data items currently required for service delivery and system administration, the removal of unused items and the addition of new items that accurately reflect mental health service activity and consumer outcomes;
- a new Mental Health Information and Data Exchange that allows interoperability between the proposed Mental Health and Wellbeing Record and other services' major ICT systems to support information sharing in real time within and across services and sectors;
- a new user-friendly online consumer portal (web and mobile) connected to the Mental Health Information and Data Exchange that allows consumers to view key information about themselves and authorise sharing of information with members of their care team, including families, carers and supporters; and
- a comprehensive data repository and associated clinical registries for mental health (within the recommended Mental Health Information and Data Exchange) that will support outcome measurement, future service planning, continuous improvement and mental health research.
Information about this recommendation is being updated.
Please check back here for information updates.
The Victorian Government has committed to implementing all recommendations of the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System. Rebuilding Victoria’s mental health system is a 10-year reform plan, with implementation being done in a staged and sequential way. The 2021-22 Victorian State Budget invested $3.8 billion in mental health and wellbeing services and responding to the Royal Commission’s recommendations.
All work is focused on ensuring Victorians get the mental health treatment, care, and support they deserve.